[kj] Amebix on Killing Joke in _The Day the Country Died: A History of Anarcho-Punk from 1980 - 1984_

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 7 17:23:07 EDT 2007

Rob Miller of Amebix discusses Killing Joke in Ian Glasper's _The Day
the Country Died_.

** One of Amebix's early Killing Joke-inspired efforts is online here:
http://goodbadmusic.blogspot.com/2007/06/amebix-whos-enemy-7ep-spiderleg-records.html

** Amebix singer Miller is now a swordsmith on the Isle of Skye @ Castle
Keep and discusses this early EP a bit on the forums section of his
swordsmith website:
http://www.castlekeep.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=54c98779de2478cabf19ef61cd6717c5&showtopic=184

From Ian Glasper's _The Day the Country Died: A History of
Anarcho-Punk: 1980-1984_ (Cherry Red Books, 2006):

"At this point Amebix were developing an unhealthy obsession with the
mesmeric sounds of Killing Joke, a band whose tribal poundings changed
[singer and bassist] Rob [Miller] and Stig's perceptions about what
constitutes genuine musical power.

"'Yeah, we were developing all these influences from people like Bauhaus
and Joy Division, but especially Killing Joke, who were just absolutely
fucking incredible... we saw them at the Trafalgar Square CND rally in
1980, and they came onstage and just fucking blew everybody else away.
It was a bit pretentious, I suppose, but Jaz Coleman came on and said,
'We're the only honest thing that's happened here all fucking day!' And
all the CND people were looking at each other, shocked!

"'And we were obsessed with this idea of building as big a musical
architecture as possible -- but we didn't have any musical ability. We
still had no idea how to tune our guitars ... seriously. Right up until
the end of the band, we were still saying to each other, "This is on the
fat string ... this is on the second fattest!"

[...]

"The 'Winter' single followed (b/w 'Beginning of the End') in early '83,
a poorly produced offering with insistent tom patterns drowned beneath
waves of fuzzed-out guitars and Rob's repetitive wailing of the title,
that actually spent almost two months in the Indies, peaking at No. 18.

"'A lot of the stuff that we were writing back then was just garbage,'
scoffs Rob. 'But a lot of it was fundamental as well, building blocks
for what we were trying to create. Unfortunately we wasted a lot of time
in this melange of stuff that was trying to be Killing Joke ... trying
to imitate their sound because they were the most realistic
interpretation I'd heard of what we were trying to get to ourselves ...
that whole primitive rhythmic thing that didn't really break into
verse/chorus, verse/chorus, middle-eight ... it was just about creating
this big, big presence.'

[...]

"'Talking about this, it makes me realise that I do feel very
passionately about what we did as a band. A lot of people do heap a lot
of praise upon us, but I read an American review of [the] "Arise" [LP
from 1984/5] the other day and the guy was pretty much spot-on. He
didn't go, "Amebix are progenitors of this and that," and all the rest
of it ... he actually said, "These guys wear their influences on their
sleeves. You can hear Joy Division, you can hear Killing Joke, you can
hear Black Sabbath and Motorhead ..." But he was quite disparaging at
the end, adding, "It's just a shame that they didn't leave us anything
half as good as these other bands." Which is fine, y'know? It's his
opinion, and good on him, because we did wear our influences on our
sleeves in many ways.

"'Venom weren't an influence though ... that's one thing I need to
strongly state to everybody. We were before Venom, and I got their first
single and I wrote to them when they brought out "In League with
Satan"... I wrote this letter to Abaddon, saying, "That's the funniest
thing I've ever heard in my fucking life!" 'Cos I thought they were
taking the piss! And the twat wrote back, "Do not mock the way of
Venom..." and all this sort of thing!'"