[kj] OT: The Day the Country Died: A History of Anarcho-Punk from1980-1984

pssyche23 antoni at clara.net
Fri Jul 6 07:31:13 EDT 2007

I bought it a while back (shortly after getting the Crass book) mainly for
stuff on the likes of Rudimentray Peni, SubHumans, Flux etc - there is also
a DVD out (haven't seen it though) ... you make a fair point with "I have a
very cool girlfriend who recently got me remastered editions of early
Killing Joke albums (like Revelations), and there still isn't a decent
retrospective that deals with that band in its proper context as one who
started in the late 1970s touring with Joy Division yet who are still around
today, slogging ahead in the trenches of modern underground rock" ... of
course, much depends on the opinions of the author ... it doesn't help that
KJ have always been difficult to categorise ... they featured in the Sounds
spin-off mag "Punks Not Dead" but I always considered them post-punk, then
there's "alternative rock" or industrial or experimental rock (circa WTF, I
mean how do you define Who Told You How ? Jungle Rock?) ...maybe just rock
... there were a few positive references in Simon Reynolds post-punk book
"Rip It Up And Start Again" but then Mick Mercer's "Gothic Rock" book had a
fairly large section on UK Decay yet very small dismisive passages about the
likes of Killing Joke and Theatre Of Hate. And didn't UK Decay first use the
"gothic" reference as a bit of a pisstake (the cover for the Black Cat EP
was shot in a graveyard) before any scene developed ? So they were really
post-punk too. And as for the bloody NME, they have tried to rewrite
history - in their world the Anarcho Punk thing never happened - there were
never hordes of goth/punk-like punters milling about the place - cos they
were all listening to the Human League, Blue Rondo Al A Turk, Kid Creole and
ABC ... and shite like that ... just like with The Face magazine and how it
went so downhill after a dozen or so brilliant issues (2 major positive
features on KJ in number 5 and 13 then a feature on the new punks, about
issue 20 in 1982) - no wonder the NME go on so much about The Smiths - in a
greatest band ever poll, the NME put The Smiths at number 1 - that was only
a ploy to deflect attention away from the other total shit they used to
cover over the period from 1980 to 1984 ... altogether now, C U N T S !