[kj] 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 26 23:24:43 EST 2007

Greg,

I believe you. And since I burnt -- uh, I mean BOUGHT -- a copy of
_American Hardcore_, I'll have to go back and watch it with the
commentary ON. But I have to stick by the Misfits being an essential
part of the American hardcore movement this movie delves into.

So, if the documentary makers if they can give air time to folks like
Nig Heist (!) and Flipper -- who, okay, I guess were hardcore, sure --
and interview folks like the dudes in Superjoint Ritual as well as Flea
(who they intro as a member of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fear, the
latter of which is true but how is he there more for movie star power or
what), they'd in the best of allw orlds be able to devote time the
Misfits. I mean--

These are just the smallest smattering of shows between 1980 and 1983:

-- Misfits w/ Poison Idea & 7 Seconds & Septic Death (!):
http://www.punkbands.com/lyrics/images/flyers/misfits.gif

-- Misfits w/ Negative Approach and The Meatmen:
http://www.nestorindetroit.com/Flyers-brian/misfits-freezer.jpg

--Misfits w/ FU's and Boston's DYS:
http://www.onethirtyeight.com/images/flyers/fccc_crimsonghost.jpg

--Misfits w/ Necros:
http://www.stardoom.com/punk_flyers/see_artwork/misfits_pushead.gif

And there's a pic in Bannd in DC, the book, of The Misfits letting DC hc
band Govt Issue use their equipment.

Etc. The 'Fits had their own DIY "fiend club," which was either a PO Box
or Glenn Anzalone aka Glenn Danzig's mom's house's address in Lodi, NJ.
They started their own label, Plan 9 Records, also in the DIY spirit.
(Actually, Glenn did that and still uses it.) They used Minor Threat's
Lyle Preslar briefly as a guitarist near the end when they were
transitioning into Samhain, used Black Fag drummer Robo and even Rollins
as a guest vocalist on their _Evilive_LP; did covers of Black Flag's
"Rise Above" live -- & the impact they had on bands w/ their imagery,
artwork, stage presence, etc., is hard to over-estimate. I'm just saying
no really comprehensive American HC documentary can ignore all that. But
again it's not like _American Hardcore_ sucked -- I was really stoked
and grateful they got in some footage of Houston's almost-forgotten, yet
very excellent, old hardcore band Really Red, too. Those guys were
great. And the attention paid to Bad Brains and MDC was very cool.

We could nitpick the thing all day. Government Issue were also absent
from the documentary, along with GG Allin. My main point was just that
The Misfits and DKs seemed like a towering absence, regardless of the
reasoning behind it, sound or unsound. And I'll be getting to that
commentary on the movie soon, per your recommendation! :)

-Oliver