[kj] 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 26 17:20:25 EST 2007

Actually, a member of The Replacements was interviewed in the American
Hardcore documentary (briefly) saying that in effect he felt the
Replacements' stuff approached hardcore, but wasn't quite a part of the
hardcore scene the movie talks about.

I think Jello's non-appearance is because of what someone (Alex?) said
-- his reluctance to be involved with stuff like this nowadays, esp.
since the, uh, "Dead Kennedys" have re-formed without him -- yes, with a
new singer, like the Newfits -- and it might've meant
commiserating/dealing with, or reminiscing about, his old DK "buddies,"
from whom he's bitterly estranged now. Bobby Steele, who was technically
briefly a member of the '77-'83 Misfits lineup is also interviewed in
_American Hardcore_ several times, but he's credited not as a Misfit but
as a member of of his own band, NY's Undead, the band he's better known
for anyway. Steele doesn't discuss the Misfits at all. I have heard a
live recording of The Misfits from 1981 or so where Danzig throws a
tantrum on stage, into the mic, and goes on about how their ex-guitarist
Bobby Steele sucks and so does his new band, The Undead.

The major coup for the documentary was getting Ian MacKaye to
participate at all; he is also notoriously pee-shy about stuff like this
-- esp. considering this is a Sony Pictures Classics release. Ian would
not let Rhino, for example, use Minor Threat tracks for their "Faster &
Louder" hc punk anthology from the early 90s, seen by many as a
definitive (though not exhaustive) document for the '80 - '84 US HC era.
That was a major blow to Rhino's compilation, which wanted to be the
"Nuggets" of US hardcore, and it even had GG Allin on it -- who is also
not mentioned in American Hardcore, either, now that I think about it.

Still, the Misfits were in the trenches playing right along with the
Necros, Poison Idea, & Negative Approach in the early 80s -- and all
those were bands covered in this documentary. The documentary isn't
perfect but I'll admit it also isn't bad. But not covering the Dead
Kennedys and/or the Misfits in barely any form makes it way less
complete than it'd ideally be. I mean, the DK's were hugely responsible
for forging a definite, striking, political direction for hardcore in
those days, and they had the obscenity trials in '86, etc.

-Oliver