[kj] 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

gingoblin at easynet.co.uk gingoblin at easynet.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 11:47:20 EST 2007

At 08:32 26/02/2007 -0600, you wrote:

>On the _American Hardcore_ documentary -- not a perfect documentary by

>any means (where are the Dead Kennedys and Misfits in it?? HUGE gap in

>history of 80s punk by not including them) -- it even shows early Boston

>HC band DYS on stage announcing publicly, circa 1985, "We used to be a

>hardcore punk rock band, but now we're just a hard rock 'n roll

>band...." Then it showed DYS playeing what sounded like some crappy

>mid-tempo RATT-inspired rock music with the singer using that bad

>falsetto that was so omnipresent in the 80s. And wasn't _Decline of

>Western Civilization 2_ a documentary about hair metal bands? I've never

>seen it, but I always wondered -- what were the hair guys rebelling

>against? Not enough Aquanet available in L.A. at the time, or what?

Not seen American Hardcore yet... hopefully it'll make it to the UK soon.
Yeah, I'd heard Misfits and DK's were missing from it... bizarre!
Yup, Decline II was all the metal stuff... some of it is absolutely
hilarious! Finally got to see Decline III last week... good stuff, and no
hair metal in sight!

>Back on topic to Killing Joke, though, I always saw their, uh,

>"crossover" into pure new wave in the late 80s to be another version of

>this change a lot of bands went through, in a sense. I just cannot

>listen to anything KJ made after Nighttime until Extremities came along.

>-Oliver

Yup, can't say I EVER play Outside The Gate or Brighter. One of the things
that makes Extremities even better is that it followed those, er, "less
good" Joke albums. I say it every time, but when they played Edinburgh
and came on with 2 or 3 new songs from Extremities it was a truly glorious
moment... Killing Joke were BACK!