[kj] FW: Now Here's a Reunion Tour!

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Sat Feb 24 13:56:52 EST 2007

"Alexander Smith" wrote:

> I'm still quite flabbergasted that the J&MC are touring (with both

> brothers involved, specifically). As much as I loved PSYCHOCANDY,

> DARKLANDS and a couple of other tracks (a few off HONEY'S DEAD, and some

> of the b-sides, notably "Kill Surf City" and "Sidewalking"), I've never

> had a good time at a `Mary Chain show.

> I saw them in Columbus, Ohio on the DARKLANDS tour (where they also

> employed a drum machine) and they were listless, disinterested and

> boring. I saw them again on the second Lollapalooza in `92 or so, and it

> seemed entirely incongruous to see the band -- all weedy, Scottish and

> pale -- playing in the broad, sunny daylight (although at that time, they

> *did* have a live drummer -- some dude named Monty who'd also played with

> Curve). I saw them a final time at the Roseland Ballroom, and it was

> sort've more of same.

> I still find their recordings pretty damn stupendous (notably everything

> on PSYCHOCANDY), but I don't think I'd ever bother going to go see them

> live again.

I'm pretty much on the same page as you are with this band.

I too saw them at the '92 Lollapalooza tour (in San Francisco) and had the
exact same feelings. The only thing that made their set interesting was the
obvious tension between the brothers. The only other time I caught them live
was a week or so before they broke up onstage in '98 here in California. It
was at the Palace and because it was a pretty small, dark and intimate
venue, it much more suited their music and they did some interesting
variations on a few of their best known songs ("Relevence" sounding like a
stoner Black Sabbath covering them).

Here's is an article on their last show:

http://www.scripps.edu/~terrylo/show/jamc3.html

T.B.