[kj] 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 23 11:37:33 EST 2007

The arrival of the Bad Brains in NYC certainly changed everything. I don't think they became a "NYHC" band so much as they ignited the NYC scene (I doubt the bands that follwed them would've sounded like they did if not for the Bad Brains). They again, they also inspired Token Entry to go "funky," which was a Grand Canyon-sized misstep.

And if I had to pick, I'd pick the ROIR cassette over I AGAINST I, but you honestly can't go wrong with the Bad Brains (well, yes you can -- avoid the Maverick album, GOD OF LOVE at all costs).

No one's claimed that any of the albums cited in the subject line to be "hardcore." The discussion just drifted.

Shouldn't you be quibbling about the clothes and hairstyles these bands were sporting about now, Oliver?

Alex in NYC