[kj] 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 21:20:19 EST 2007

"Skin Deep" may be comparatively slick pop, but synth pop it is not.

The Stranglers made a concerted effort to broaden their sound and
appeal (in their own words, trying to become a "cooler Roxy Music").
Whether they succeeded or not is another matter.

I personally like a lot of the band's pop stuff, but obviously it
doesn't hold a candle to their earlier, more aggressive work.

Alex in NYC