[kj] Clip of US punk documentary/riots

Peter Moltesen sneakypete at uwclub.net
Tue Feb 20 12:49:06 EST 2007

I absolutely LOVED the Damned back in the late ‘70s early eighties –
especially MGE

even though I was more into metal back then – always compared them more with
the

likes of Hawkwind / Pink Fairies / Motorhead though. I remember reading that
Rat Scabies’

favourite band was Gong and that Captain was a massive Soft Machine fan.

rrreal Punkrock, eh :o)

Peter

Well that always confused me to about the Damned - I think
the 'real' punks gave them the benefit of the doubt over the
second album, but Machine Gun Etiquette was considered a
major sell out by the hardcore - it was the album that
all the younger kids like myself really got into, which was the
kiss of death for any self-respecting original fan.And I don't know
if Lemmy had achieved across-the-board respectability then,
some of the punks still viewed him as a greasy longhair hippy.
We used to get stick for listening to AC/DC and Black Sabbath too...

And that's why I stay away from Myspace - couldn't
take the stigma of being defriended!

"B. Oliver Sheppard" <bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Neil,

So The Damned's 2nd album, _Music for Pleasure_, which I do admit I
like, was acceptable, while the 3rd album, _Machinegun Etiquette_, which
has some songs with Motorhead's Lemmy on bass, was not? For shame!

The white belt, girl pant, "hoodie," shaggy Brady Bunch hairdo thing is
a new one for our times ("it's so 2003, though!"), times wherein they
sell Ramones and CBGB OMFUG t-shirts at boutique "thrift" stores like
Urban Outfitters for about $25 a pop, usually without the kids knowing
what the logos on their shirts represent. My gf was wearing a Ramones
shirt and some girl came up to her -- "I have that same shirt, only it's
bright pink!" "Cool, so do you like the Ramones?" "Well, who are they,
exactly?" Etc.

But I still support the rule of "Do not wear a shirt of your own band
while you are playing on stage, please." Again, unless you're The
Ramones or Motorhead you'll just look stupid.

But the worst that happens nowadays is someone flames you on this list,
or they defriend you on MySpace -- the ultimate, dreaded punishment.
Better than getting clocked in the head, though.

-Oliver

Neil Perry wrote:

> Hmm, our 'rules' were a little more harsh. From what I can remember:

[...]