[kj] Illin' Joke

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 16 08:15:22 EST 2007

So I had a great idea, which happens to me quite a bit. A hip-hop
tribute band to Killing Joke, called Illin' Joke. The gist is that we do
hip-hop covers of KJ songs. Who's in?

You can envision it pretty clearly: We come out, basketball jerseys or
pants down at our knees, etc. "Wuzzup, Pittsburgh!?!? [or wherever we
happen to be; I just use Pittsburgh as a default]. How ya'll feelin'
tonight? Damn. I think it's time for a little ... WAR DANCE!"

Then a very slow-yet-somehow-sexual drum beat kicks in, a couple of us
trade off on the opening verses, of "Wardance." Funk Master #1: "Dayum,
the atmosphere's strange -- out on the town." Co-rapper then comes in:
"Music for pleasure? SHIT! That ain't music no mo'!" Etc.

Let's do this. Or get Killing Joke to fucking play Austin SXSW this year
-- one of the two.

-Oliver