[kj] Killing Joke- Buy or Die

Neil Perry neilfperry at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 6 12:48:52 EST 2007

lol

Bailiffs... or maybe lawyers

Phillipps Marc <Marc.Phillipps at enfield.nhs.uk> wrote: >If they're not making a living doing this after all this time, they're in the

>wrong career.

Killing Joke Removals . .

Or maybe greengrocers?

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Perry [mailto:neilfperry at btinternet.com]
Sent: 06 February 2007 16:47
To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)
Subject: Re: [kj] Killing Joke- Buy or Die

Same here, but to back up my earlier outburst,
I've already bought every KJ release 3, sometimes 4 times - vinyl,
replacement copies for fucked vinyl, CD, re-issued CD, etc - so
there you go, I've already paid for someone's free download several
times over... generally I wouldn't do it to new/upcoming bands
but someone as long in the tooth as KJ? No problem. If they're
not making a living doing this after all this time, they're in the
wrong career.

"B. Oliver Sheppard" <bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Obviously, I love KJ, or I wouldn't be here. But I'll admit that I heard
msny of their albums illegally and unauthorized over p2p file sharing
networks before I decided, "Okay, I am definitely a fan of this
excellent band." A band whose oeuvre I might not've heard hadn't it been
for Soulseek. Then I decided to collect the physical merchandise.

At that point, I did proceed to track down vinyl and CD copies of the
band's material, as well as other non-downloadable merch., like
t-shirts, stickers, et. al.

I don't think many bands realize how much mp3 downloads really HELP
them. If a band is so insecure about its material that it wants folks to
buy their LPs before listeners hear them and find out they suck -- well,
then, posh on that band. A confident band would WANT to get the music
out there, bar none, to prospective listeners, and would confidently
assume real appreciators of the band would buy the real vinyl/CD. That's
how many punk bands operate nowadays.

I have a fine collection of KJ merch. I dunno how much of my purchases
goes into Jaz's, Geordie's, etc, pockets, but that's not my fault. I
download *AND* I buy. The two are not inseparable.

See, for example, this picture of me with a really nice right-eye shiner
(seizure disorder) in my very proudly-owned KJ "Requiem" t-shirt. My
girlfriend bought it for me from England for Xmas. So, no, I am not some
slovenly bootlegger who never buys actual KJ merch. I really do love
Killing Joke, heart and soul. I love owning their actual, physical
material. But I'm also a punk at heart: Music for the masses/don't quit
your day job.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/wolfbrigade/badeye2.jpg

Yours 'til the Aocalypse,

Oliver

Neil Perry wrote:

> Bah, screw Killing Joke. Download/pirate/boot as much

> as you like. Financial knife-edge? They'd use it to slit

> your throat before giving you anything for free. Only if

> Colesy is involved would I say don't do it.

> 'Servicing their fanbase'? I hope this is an example of an

> extremely dry sense of humour. We've all been 'serviced'

> by KJ at one stage or another.

> Take take take

> *//*

This communication may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information within is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the sender, then delete and destroy any copies of it. The Health Informatics Service disclaims any liability for action taken reliant on the content of this message. This communication is from the Health Informatics Service serving Barnet Enfield & Haringey Health Communities.