[kj] Killing Joke- Buy or Die

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 5 18:56:51 EST 2007

I didn't buy many KJ releases until I'd heard them through unauthorized
file sharing networks. They don't get much airplay, if anyone's noticed.
I suspect that's how many especially newcomers have become converted
fans, like me. After I heard them illegally, I decided, 'Okay, I'm a an
of this, this is great, time to start collecting the actual stuff.' So I
did. And do.

Bands shouldn't shoot themselves in the foot with this kind of agitating
against downloads thing. Like I said, mp3s are one part of a band's
oeuvre these days, for better or worse. Downloading could lead to
increased ticket sales, t-shirt, merch, greater attendance at shows,
etc., sales, and can turn people onto collectors of the real vinyl/CD
deal. The RIAA thinks downloading is all people want. Music lovers like
me use file sharing to weed out the crap that's out there (Staind) from
the good stuff (Killing Joke, World Burns to Death, etc.) Like I said,
some bands seem to want to get your money before you realize they suck,
when it's too late for you to do anything about it.

-Oliver