[kj] ot: islington squat - jamie

iPat pmdavies at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 11:16:22 EST 2007

On Dec 28, 2007 3:12 PM, ade <ade at the-lab.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> As Brenda pointed out, I was being particularly negative! But doesn't EVERYTHING go wrong eventually? Those in the film would've had shit life-experiences whether they had spikey hair or not. I wouldn't describe them as dregs of society as I went through that too - just bided my time before getting out. Luckily someone died so I got a bit of money & didn't have to live rough. Still, the place I got wasn't far from living in a squat! Just trying to point out that anyone can have shit happen to them - it always has & always will.

> Essentially, I don't think those in the film have a great deal to do with punk - had they lived ten years before, then they'd be called something else. Hardly worthy of the glorification punk gets. My interest in punk it is the music - mainly what came later: KJ, PiL, Banshees, etc, etc. Other than that, they could be wannabe-chavs of any era. Those people will always exist.

my interest is the emotion behind the music, the process not the
product. To me punk was never just the music,it was the whole thing.
Thats why i disagreed with your assertion that Punk went wrong. Did i
sell my picture...no
did i want anyone to live like that...no
but its a snapshot of what was and the documentary was selling the
sensationalist and many there did not want or get filmed im told.

> I don't sit on a pedestal - more a chair in front of the pc. Do you not indulge in correcting people at regular intervals? Maybe you don't see it.

i'll 'correct' or point out when something is perpetuating racism etc.
Theres a delete button after all. But i will happily challenge
anything that breeds ignorance.

> Ultimately, what rules should we use to quantify how 'punk' we are? And why does it matter so much? If punk means to aimlessly rebel, then is it really any different to rock'n'roll?

That may be so, because for many its simply a label to organise their
record collection. However, the link was sent by one person briefly
on that film who was using it to show how much he had changed. That
was my influence,not forced on him but through the anarchy centre i
initiated in Aberdeen. There were loads of 'dregs' (as society saw
them) we gave ourtime to and they found their way. That is punk! How
many of the neds/chavs sneered out get those oppertunities? How can we
change our approach so they can start really living their lives.

yes?