[kj] Earthquake in NZ

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Thu Dec 20 19:09:44 EST 2007

Thanks for asking Mel. Gisborne is a bit of a mess, looters were
apparently straight at it as soon as the quake hit, which is pretty
surprising because it was quite a nasty quake...one bloke was looking out
the window at his swimming pool and said it was almost wavy enough to surf
on...but no one has been hurt as far as I know and that's the main thing.
A fair bit of property damage and utilities and telecommunications are
probably a bit stuffed I suppose.

NZ is unfortunately on a major faultline so I suppose a major disaster is
just a matter of time. Wellington is right on top of it, I experienced
quite a few minor quakes when I was there. The volcanic eruption that
created lake Taupo is the most severe eruption since it happened (that
does, vaguely, make sense), it was recorded in ancient Rome & China, skies
went a funny colour & all that.

Life everywhere on planet earth is pretty fragile...Universe B might be a
better option :)