[kj] OT: somewhat rapturous Bauhaus CD review...

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 16 11:12:36 EST 2007

I'll be forever amazed at how "emo," which I always understood to be a
mid-80s post-punk musical movement, came to be conflated with "goth." A
few years ago on a discussion forum someone said, "Just you wait,
they'll come up with a way to combine emo with goth, and it'll be called
goth-mo or some shit." Looks like that really did happen.

This is Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat expaining, derisively, "emo," in ...
1986:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mbdh0Qm_5A0

Now, how what he is describing would come to mean eyeliner, a black 80s
skater flop, bangs-over-one-eye hairdo, etc., is beyond me. Basically,
America's cultural stewards need to be sent to the gas ovens, because
whoever is in charge of steering this shit has no idea what they're doing.

-Oliver