[kj] OT: Turntables

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 7 10:07:34 EST 2007

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. If you are a real vinyl enthusiast you will likely want to spend hundreds of dollars on the turntable itself.
You really can't spend enough on a good needle.
In the States you used to be able to find a decent turntable at resale shops for under $50. Put a new needle on it and you were golden. They've become a bit scarcer over the years. Technics are pretty common, and usually decent (in any class). Sony's can be okay. I tend to stick with direct drive (as opposed to belt) when buying used.

The cool thing about being on a Mac is the majority of the software is pretty easy. The downside is you have to get a interface because Mac uses that stupid mini plug that is an odd size.

There was a small recorder that has a ground wire plug specifically for a turntable. for the life of me I cannot remember who made it.

Good luck. I need to do that to a bunch of my records but laziness always wins

Chris