[kj] Killing joke and Communism

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 27 08:56:44 EDT 2007

Okay, so you are not a free market fanatic who believes the government
has no role in getting into the economy -- that's good. There are a lot
of free market enthusiasts who say the government needs to clear the
way, get out of the economy, let free markets work ont heir own, etc.

But have basically said the government needs to come in and bail out
banks. So you are pro-govt. intervention intot he economy.

However, one big aspect of our current economic system is risk. Risk
means nothing if it means youd on't pay the price for it if the risk
turns out to be bad. These subprime lenders took a risk. Well, as
happens with risks, sometimes they go bad. So -- the public (me and you)
should now come in and pay the price for them taking a risk? How about
the folks at the top of these corporations be bled dry first, and then
if there's still money needed to bail out the common folks, the public
pitches in? That seems a just way to do it to me.

But for the government to come into the picture automatically on the
side of the banks, instead of the folks who fell for the loan sharks'
promises, seems more like a nanny state for the rich to me. Let the rich
take the risk -- and if it doesn't pay off, let them suffer the
consequences. That's good old capitalism, right?

-Oliver