[kj] Videos/Hosannas

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Sat Aug 25 11:23:40 EDT 2007

Absolutely, regarding both what's THIS for...! and especially Judas Goat. I
don't understand why so many people here seem to miss this off their lists
of standout Hosannas tracks. It's still the best thing they've recorded
since Mathematics of Chaos, in my view. Might add Mass & Aeon in there, but
it's debatable. Oh - and Blood On Your Hands. In any case, JG is a superb
Killing Joke song.

And I realise it's sacrilegious to say so, but I don't really rate Night
Time. Sorry Alex, as I know you have long championed it as being
unassailable, but I only really like the groove of the title track, the
guitar break in Darkness Before Dawn, the middle eight in Europe and -
obviously - Eighties (if it didn't sound like it was being reproduced by an
AM radio). The songs worked much better live, but the album as it stands is
weak. I really dislike Kings & Queens, which is also heretical, I know.
Tabazan is just embarrassing, although the music's great - it's not so much
the heavy breathing at the beginning, which I think warrants a phone
whistle, as the "Mother release me!". What's that all about then? How did
Mrs Coleman the elder explain that to the Cheltenham WI?

LLB has a specific meaning to me - when a musically-handicapped friend (I
think we all regard our musical taste as impeccable, don't we?) and I were
looking at each other's lists of bands to see, it was the fact that he,
while immediately nixing NoMeansNo (too old), The Fall (too tuneless), Nina
Nastasia (too folk), Shellac (too gay - don't blame me, that's what he said)
and King Crimson (I can't repeat his veto on a family mailing list!), while
offering Gary Numan (too shit, although I have time for his stuff up to
about Telekon, but don't tell my friend that), Evanescence (too shit),
Razorlight (don't get me started) and fucking COLDPLAY (no comment
necessary, I hope) - he agreed to Killing Joke because of LLB, which is the
only thing most people seem to associate with the band. Probably from that
Goth Rock (!) compilation. Just was well we have other things in common.
Now, I like Bauhaus as much as I like any other whiny melodramatic
Bowie-plagiarists (meaning I have all their records), but although LLB
probably meant that KJ had a comfortable few years of single malt and Cuban
cigars, it is, to me, a more successful Me Or You, meaning a track written
specifically to be a hit single. There's nothing wrong with that as a
concept, but it doesn't seem to be what KJ do best.

But then what do I know? I like Millennium too.

Phew. Spleen vented.

Darren

Hungerford, UK