[kj] OT Autism

T.B. Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Thu Aug 23 12:12:39 EDT 2007

"Frank Coleman" wrote:

> It's important to remember that Autism is a spectrum, which ranges from

> being "high-functioning" -- e.g., barely discernible from non-Autistic

> people -- to having to be institutionalized for life.

> My 17-year-old stepdaughter has Asperger's Syndrome and goes to a

> mainstream school in NYC, oriented towards performing arts. My wife

> teaches drama to Autistic kids for a living and has worked miracles with

> her and others.

> Here's a terrific article on what Asperger's is like, from a recent

> article in The New Yorker.

> http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/08/20/070820fa_fact_page?printable=true

I just caught this thread amidst my tons of mail. My 10 year old son is
autistic.

My wife and I are fairly well involved in our local community of autistic
families and so we've seen pretty much the entire range of children and
young adults who suffer from it from kids that are in their teens and a very
low functioning with a lot of social issues who basically sit at home with
violent tendencies who'll be forced to live in assisted medical care housing
for the rest of their lives when their parents die to children who you'd
never know they had autism but have perhaps minor problems integrating
around other kids and are exceptional with certain fields like math and
science.

Really, no two people suffering from autism have exactly the same issues
which is also why it's so hard to treat.

Our son falls kinda in the middle of the spectrum. He started out when he
was born a perfectly healthy, happy baby in '97 and by about 18 months, he
was just starting to talk like any typical baby his age. At that point, he
had his MMR vaccines and got very sick for two days, something our doctor
said was "normal" in many cases. Within a few weeks, we noticed he'd
stopped talking altogether and was crying a *lot* and was starting to walk
on his tippy-toes like a bird. At two years, he still was not talking and
exhibiting more autistic behavior like flapping his arms when he was excited
and we were becoming very concerned. We had to go through a lot of bullshit
to get a referral to see a neurologist who knew right away our son was
autistic. Once we had a diagnosis, it opened up a lot of doors to get
in-home therapy which is by far the most important thing for a young
autistic kid - parents need to get on the ball as soon as possible.

We also worked at his disease from a medical standpoint, having a lot of
tests done through several doctors here in the US who were and are known as
cutting edge in treating the problem. Once we established possible causes
(high mercury content in his bloodwork, so-called "leaky gut" issues) with
various drugs and a strictly controlled diet we got at least his physical
issues under control which theoretically aided his brain and body to develop
as best as it could through his early years. Through his first few years in
school, we fought hard with the local school district to get the services he
needed and should have had access to according to state and federal laws.
We wound up suing and winning against our school district which although
cost us well over 125 thousand dollars, our son received and has a great
school program with an appropriate classroom and classmates and a wonderful
full time aid.

He still has a very long ways to go but we're getting there. On the
surface, he seems like any other kid his age. But he still has significant
sensory issues, he has to wear earplugs just to go in a movie theater and is
deathly afraid of butterflies(!). That's the toughest thing about autism
from an outsider's point of view, is there's very little logic or patterns
to and autistic person's problems and behaviours.

He can't be "cured" but our goal is for him to be able to work and make his
own life in society independently of anyone else long after we're gone.

T.B.