[kj] OT Autism

Frank Coleman fbc at 21ca.com
Thu Aug 23 10:38:37 EDT 2007

It's important to remember that Autism is a spectrum, which ranges from
being "high-functioning" -- e.g., barely discernible from non-Autistic
people -- to having to be institutionalized for life.

My 17-year-old stepdaughter has Asperger's Syndrome and goes to a
mainstream school in NYC, oriented towards performing arts. My wife
teaches drama to Autistic kids for a living and has worked miracles with
her and others.

Here's a terrific article on what Asperger's is like, from a recent
article in The New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/08/20/070820fa_fact_page?printable=true

best,
FBC

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential." - Hans
Asperger