[kj] Killing joke and Communism

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 23 10:36:10 EDT 2007

The diagnoses of autism in the US are way, way, way up.

I have a loved one with a brother who has been diagnosed with autism for
a very long time. He does have the "little professor" thing going that
can be a feature of autism; specifically, he has an encyclopedic
knowledge of movies, movie stars, their careers, DVD editions of movies,
and TV shows, etc. He has also many times attempted to hunt down and
contact many Hollywood actors by way fof find their phone numbers, etc.,
via the Internet. He does not seem to know how to modeulate his voice
properly and speaks inappropriately loudly in social situations, and
aside from allt his, from simply interacting with him you also get the
feeling "he's just not all there," and I don't mean that in an offensive
manner, I just mean that's the only way I can describe it without being
more specific.

He's actually a nice guy to me but can be horrible to his family. Like I
said, his obsession is DVD and movies. He pulls fits and gets physically
violent if he can't get DVD new releases as theyc ome out. he has a big
bootleg collection. On some occasions this has actually been quite handy
for me -- heh, heh -- and as he has an insanely intense interest in The
Simpsons I've been able to talk to him at length about that show, and,
yeah, he is like an encyclopedia.

However, I have tto wonder wy diagnoses of autism have skyrocketed in
recent years? Undetected before, or are more people getting it?

Also, Asperger's I see in a different light. Asperger;s is more
complicated and conroversial. Asperger's could really just be something
introverted, socially awkward people who spend a lot of time on the PC
tell themselves they have to make themselves feel better about it. I've
met a few people who claimed to have had Asperger's and they seemed
totally normal to me, but didn't have many friends, were really into PC
gaming, and lots of gamer, nerdy stuff. I get suspicious about that
designation. Diagnoses of that are also on the rise. Why?

-Oliver