[kj] Killing joke and Communism

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 21 23:26:37 EDT 2007

I think the documentary _The Corporation_ is a good antidote, and ina ny
evet simply more accurate, than America: From Freedom to fascism.

It tracks the development of the entity known as the "coporation" as
being the primary unit of economic production and distribution in the
United States.

Many folks are surprised to learn that the legal entity known as the
"corporation" in US law was not created until the 1880s in the U.S. It
was a way for individuals to acquire wealth while escaping
responsibility. This artificial entity, the "corporation," technically
made the money, which was paid out to the folks behind it; while if the
corporation did anything heinous, the "corporation," since it was its
own separate legal entity, like a human, could be held responsible, and
not necessarily the people behind it. "Piercing the corporate veil" is
the term for getting at the folks behind corporations, who are really
its masters. Like holding executives at Enron responsible instead of
simply just this abstract legal entity known as "Enron."

This is why Ambrobe Bierce, in his late 19th century _Devil's
Dictionary_, defined a "corporation" this way: *

Corporation*: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit
without individual responsibility.

In any event, prior to 1880, in America joint stock companies or
chartered companies existed, but they are different from corporations. A
company might be assembled for a particular task -- say, building a
bridge. A state, like Vermont, would grant a charter to that company so
that they could do this as a unit. Once the brigde was buit, the charter
was dissolved/rescinded, and the company was over.

In th 1880s that changed, and corporations could be created with no
other purpose than to "make money," for an indefinite period of time,
forever, yet were still regarded as individual persons, asigned a TAX ID
instead of a Social Security number, and privy to the same
Constitutional rights formerly reserved for the people only -- like,
rights to freedom of speech, etc.

What many people don't realize is that states still have to issue
corporate charters for corporations to exist. And there is a movement to
revoke the corporate charters of many companies that have not behaved in
the public interest. Politicians are not eager to do that -- because
guess where most of their election campaign comes from? not the Joe
Sixpacks dealing with the effects of, say, a corporation's environmental
damage -- but from corporations.

The documentary The Corporation traces the history of "The Corporation"
and how now it is so culturally ingrained into US life as a simple fact
of existence that many folks forget corporations did not exist as such
before the 1880s and were controversial arrangements from the get-go.

-Oliver