[kj] Killing joke and Communism

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 21 13:46:26 EDT 2007

I have to say, I've always been somewhat baffled by the hammer-n'-
sickle iconography as well. My guess is that it's merely an
appropriation of an image designed to shock and offend (witness Alex
Cox's revisionist switching of the swastika to the soviet hammer-n'-
sickle symbol on Sid Vicious' red t-shirt in the slavishly overrated
"Sid & Nancy.")

Killing Joke -- much like many of their post-punk peers -- always
seemed to flirt with Cold War imagery, so I'm guessing it stems from
that. I don't believe they espouse any Leninist ideals, however.

Could be wrong, though.

Alex in NYC