[kj] Rudimentary Peni

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 18 04:32:58 EDT 2007

We had made some points about how we were frustrated when we told folks
we liked Killing Joke, about 80% of the folks who've heard of them seem
to think they broke up a long time ago, and were some vague gothic punk
band from the 1980s, long deceased. Like Simon Reynolds, who writes of
them in the paste tense.

And the same with Rudimentary Peni, associated w/ the 80s UK
anarcho-punk scene but also pretty damn dark, gothy, and creepy
themselves. (Same with MDC, still making albums -- and Poison Idea, Pig
Champion RIP! -- other bands people seem to almost WANT to consign to
the past!)

Anyway, I like Rudi Peni as much, if not more, than Killing Joke. Hope
that's not heresy to say here. I have a Rudi Peni tattoo that is the
only music-related tattoo I'll ever get.

Below is a fan video to a recent Rudimentary Peni song, from 2004. Like
the fan video to Killing Joke's amazing "Universe B," I think the fan in
this case also did a damn good job.

Rudimentary Peni - "The Curse" (2004):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pb1HC9J1IE

Hope some of you dig it. It's full of bile and hatred, and is short and
sweet. Nick Blinko is an angry genius.

-Oliver