[kj] Raven will be touring with Ministry, apparently ...

meddle _meddle at cox.net
Fri Aug 17 13:58:43 EDT 2007

from: http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1567333/20070816/ministry.jhtml

[]

08.17.2007 8:01 AM EDT

Ministry 'Riding Off Into The Sunset' With Bush;
Plus Animosity & More News That Rules, In Metal File

'This is definitely a fitting end to it all,' Al
Jourgensen says of band's retirement.

by Chris Harris and Jon Wiederhorn
[]

[]

Ministry's Al Jourgensen (Photo: Steffab Chirazi)
[]

"Obviously, my muse for the past six years has
been George W.," Ministry frontman Al Jourgensen
admitted recently, "and he's going to be riding
off into the sunset soon, so I figured I'd just go out with him."

That's right ­ Ministry's

[]

<http://www.vh1.com/interact/my_account/artistsub_list.jhtml?paid=1104&_DARGS=/news/droplets/story.jhtml.5_A&_DAV=>
[]
<http://www.vh1.com/interact/my_account/artistsub_list.jhtml?paid=1104&_DARGS=/news/droplets/story.jhtml.6_A&_DAV=>Sign
up to receive FREE UPDATES for Ministry!

[]
E-Mail this story to a friend
<http://www.vh1.com/rss/>
XML RSS Feed
<http://www.vh1.com/rss/>Add RSS Headlines

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/my/atm/MTVN/VH1/TOPSTORIES/*http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url=http://www.vh1.com/rss/news/latest.jhtml>
Add to My Yahoo
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/my/atm/MTVN/VH1/TOPSTORIES/*http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url=http://www.vh1.com/rss/news/latest.jhtml>Add
VH1 News to My Yahoo
September 18 disc, The Last Sucker, will indeed
be their studio-album swan song.

"Everyone seems to think I make sh--ty records
when there are Democrats in office," he laughed.
"Since I'm really on the top of my game right
now, it would be nice to end on a high note
instead of keep releasing sh--ty albums well into my 60s," he added.

Of course, Jourgensen isn't about to fade away
without blasting a final cache of
industrial-metal ammunition at the White House.
The Last Sucker is venomous and brutal, filled
with caustic riffs, political sound bites and
ranting, distorted vocals. The new LP
incorporates elements of Ministry's finest
albums, including the mechanized precision of
1988's The Land of Rape and Honey; the blowtorch
fury of 1992's Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed & the
Way to Suck Eggs; the hazy, lumbering fear and
rage of 1996's Filth Pig; and the
shovel-to-the-skull thrash and anti-Bush bile
presented on 2004's Houses of the Molé and 2006's
Rio Grande Blood. However, while Jourgensen
admits The Last Sucker provides a comprehensive
closing chapter to the story of the band he
formed in Chicago in 1981, he insists he wasn't
making a conscious effort to write the equivalent
of an on-the-deathbed flashback.

"Me, [Prong guitarist] Tommy Victor and [Prong/
Killing Joke bassist Paul] Raven just went in and
jammed, and the only idea that we had going in
was that we didn't have any ideas," Jourgensen
said. "This is definitely a fitting end to it
all, but that's just the way it came out. There's
a couple songs left on a shelf somewhere in case
I die in a plane crash and they want to release
outtakes, but for the most part, we picked out
the ones that made the record flow in a way that,
as it turned out, encapsulated the Ministry sound."

Jourgensen and his cohorts started writing The
Last Sucker in February and finished tracking the
album in June. In part, the rapid pace of
production was necessary for Jourgensen to adhere
to his tight schedule. As soon as he finished the
album, he started putting songs together for an
upcoming disc of Ministry covers ­ some new, some
old ­ called Cover Up. The disc will feature
numerous guests, including Static-X's Wayne
Static (singing "I Want You [She's So Heavy]" by
the Beatles); Cheap Trick's Robin Zander (singing
Golden Earring's "Radar Love"); Fear Factory's
Burton Bell (Rolling Stones' "Under My Thumb");
and Victor and Mountain guitarist Leslie West
(Mountain's "Mississippi Queen"). Cover Up will
also include previously released covers of Black
Sabbath's "Supernaut," Bob Dylan's "Lay Lady
Lay," the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues" (which is on
The Last Sucker) and Magazine's "The Light That Pours Out of Me."

As if that's not enough, Jourgensen is currently
producing and playing on the debut album by
Ascension of the Watchers, Bell and Fear Factory
keyboardist John Bechdel's new band. And Al is
also getting ready to start working on the final
Revolting Cocks record, which is due next year.

"In the '90s, I was releasing a new record every
three years," Jourgensen said. "Now we do records
in three to six months at most and just work our
asses off. The old Ministry records took a long
time partially because of drug-induced lethargy,
but also because I was still learning my craft
and experimenting with a lot of things. A lot of
it wouldn't work and I'd scrap it and end up
wasting, like, three weeks of time on a single
thing. But now we're a bunch of old grumps and we
know what we want, we know what we sound like,
and we're pretty comfortable in our skins. So we
can have a good time and still knock out a record
really quickly that everyone's 100 percent happy with."

Ministry will support The Last Sucker with one
final worldwide tour with a lineup including
Jourgensen, Raven, Victor, guitarist Sin Quirin
(Revolting Cocks), drummer Jimmy DeGrasso
(ex-Megadeth) and keyboardist Bechdel. But while
Jourgensen is looking forward to the tour, he
also looks forward to putting the lid on the Ministry coffin.

"Man, I'm so looking forward to not being the
front guy on a brand name," he said. "When I was
growing up, I loved Led Zeppelin, and I always
wanted to be Jimmy Page. But I ended up being
Robert Plant by default. I was the singer and the
frontman when I always wanted to be ­ like in
'Wizard of Oz,' the guy behind the curtain. I get
so much more done when I'm on the sidelines, and
it's more suited to my personality. I'm a studio
rat. I always will be. And now I'll be able to
do, like, six projects a year, so it's actually
much better. You'll actually get more sick of Al
Jourgensen faster than if I was to keep doing
Ministry. So I view this as my second career, not a retirement."