[kj] OT: "Punk's Not Dead" documentary

GREG SLAWSON gregslawson at msn.com
Fri Aug 10 18:05:13 EDT 2007

"Why do punk rock guys/go out with new wave girls?..."
--Dead Milkmen> Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:57:00 -0500> From: bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: Re: [kj] OT: "Punk's Not Dead" documentary> > Yes, at the upper level of middle schools and into junior high (US > school system thing, for the Brits; actually in Texas it goes: > elementary school, middle school, then junior high, then senior high, a > system that is different from many other parts of the US) it was very > much a girly thing to be into new wave and I guess post-punk while the > boys, what few there were, who could find the stuff, were into thrash, > hardcore, etc. What was big at the time was crossover. Post-punk was > punk rock for the girls. (Hey, I didn't make the rules.) This meant the > 5 or 6 gothy girls Leigh refers to, I remember them as being into Front > 242, The Mission UK, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Siouxsie, > mayybe Erasure, stuff that gets into almost dance club-y type stuff, > like the horrible Brighter Than a Thousand Suns album, actually. Chances > are those girls had boyfriends that liked Minor Threat and DRI. That's > how it worked! Nut all said that was like 10% of the school population > AT MOST.> > And Alex is also right about stuff like Fall Out Boy, My Chemical > Romance, etc., being shuttled into the "punk" umbrella now so that > basically pretty much every kid on at least middle school likes a couple > of bands that could be called punk, and also kids will buy Ramones and > CBGB's shirt without really even knowing anything about them; they're > like clothing labels like Abercrombie & Fith to them. That is the exact > opposite of the way it used to be, though younger ids may think "punk > was what everyone loved in the eighties," etc. No. Look at the Billboard > charts for the 80s. They're horrible. No one liked it.> > -Oliver> > > > Leigh Newton wrote:> > I went through the same thing in high school, but for me it was metal instead of punk. > >> > In junior high, i was one of maybe 3 or 4 people in the whole 8th grade who was into metal. For everyone else it was either New Kids On The Block or Bobby Brown or Milli Vanilli and then maybe 5 or 6 gothy girls who loved the Cure. People thought I was nuts and asked me on a daily basis if I worshipped Satan. I was never an outcast though, more just like "the weird guy". > >> > > >> > > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering