[kj] OT: "Punk's Not Dead" documentary

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 10 12:57:00 EDT 2007

Yes, at the upper level of middle schools and into junior high (US
school system thing, for the Brits; actually in Texas it goes:
elementary school, middle school, then junior high, then senior high, a
system that is different from many other parts of the US) it was very
much a girly thing to be into new wave and I guess post-punk while the
boys, what few there were, who could find the stuff, were into thrash,
hardcore, etc. What was big at the time was crossover. Post-punk was
punk rock for the girls. (Hey, I didn't make the rules.) This meant the
5 or 6 gothy girls Leigh refers to, I remember them as being into Front
242, The Mission UK, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Siouxsie,
mayybe Erasure, stuff that gets into almost dance club-y type stuff,
like the horrible Brighter Than a Thousand Suns album, actually. Chances
are those girls had boyfriends that liked Minor Threat and DRI. That's
how it worked! Nut all said that was like 10% of the school population
AT MOST.

And Alex is also right about stuff like Fall Out Boy, My Chemical
Romance, etc., being shuttled into the "punk" umbrella now so that
basically pretty much every kid on at least middle school likes a couple
of bands that could be called punk, and also kids will buy Ramones and
CBGB's shirt without really even knowing anything about them; they're
like clothing labels like Abercrombie & Fith to them. That is the exact
opposite of the way it used to be, though younger ids may think "punk
was what everyone loved in the eighties," etc. No. Look at the Billboard
charts for the 80s. They're horrible. No one liked it.

-Oliver