[kj] OT: "Punk's Not Dead" documentary

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 09:27:28 EDT 2007

I am in complete agreeance with Oliver, Greg and Alex. I am in my mid 30s
and I remember up to High School being the weird outcast. Grant it I was
known for being a music guy all around but everyone thought I was a weirdo
for wearing converse and combat boots (amongst other things).
And then....
As my days of high school was about to end............
Alternative/Grunge happened
Lollapalooza
All of that. And then everyone seemed, at least pretend, to understand what
I was talking about.
I guess it is just like anything else that is hip and cool. The underground
gets cultivated, homogenized and sold to the masses.
Punk as I know it, and grew up with, is now the mainstream. You can walk
around in all black. You can wear lewd band t-shirts. Etc., etc., etc.,
etc. Everyone likes the Sex Pistols and the Ramones. All the cool people
like Gang of Four. Whatever. Makes me want to be even more anti-social.
Maybe it is our generation (30-40 when the whole punk thing was starting)
taking what they know and putting it into their work (marketing, ad
agencies, corporate schilling, etc.).
What is the new underground? What if the "punks" at the mall don't
understand you? What if there is no message board that you fit into? What
if you have no Myspace page, or worse, have no friends on MySpace? Where do
you go?

I would be interested to find out.

Chris