[kj] FW: Re: Funny KJ tracks?

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 1 17:49:33 EDT 2007

It goes without saying we're capable of committing mass murder and
bloodshed as a species; we've done it. It also goes without saying we're
capable of being kind, noble, generous, and altruistic; we've done that,
too. When a soldier throws himself on a bomb to save his comrades, he is
being altruistic and, form an evolutionary standpoint, his particular
genetic structure ends -- he's out of the evolutionary gene pool, dead.
People have done this, even if "only the fit survive." Sometimes we
honor those who give of themselves and don't survive.

We're not genetically trapped into a certain set of behaviors. We can
choose how to act, though impulses may urge us in a certain direction.

-Oliver