[kj] LOST SOUNDS (was re: Top 10, post-Y2K)

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 6 02:09:22 EDT 2007

One of my post-Y2K Top 10 fave bands I mentioned were Memphis'
much-missed LOST SOUNDS (1999-2005). Yes, technically not post-Y2K, but
by a hair.

Gothic garage punk meets black metal meets 60s dark Nuggets psych is the
best way to describe them.

They said in an interview that they were just some garage punks who
wanted to graft what they were hearing in Burzum, Emperor, and Bathory
onto the back of simple garage rock & roll, but w/some organs --
swirling Farfisa organs, "midnight movie macabre"-type creepy synths, a
dose of early L.A. death rock like 45 Grave and TSOL, a little bit o'
Darkthrone, and 60s Nuggets-type garage bands (Lollipop Shoppe, Music
Machine) were all thrown into a blender. It came out pretty cool, one of
my fave bands of the last few years.

One of the highlights of their debut album _Memphis is Dead_ (1999),
which has a picture of a black cathedral on the cover, is the song
"Satan Bought Me," probably the best synthesis of black metal, garage
psych, and goth-punk I have ever heard. Light the red & black candles,
turn the lights down, but keep a PBR handy for the straight-out garage
rock 'n roll parts. The songs with the female vocals (Alicja Trout) are
my fave ones on this album.

Anyway _Memphis is Dead_ + bonus tracks is available for d/l in full
here, for a limited time:

--- http://download.yousendit.com/7A9CC72E78EE198E

A cover of the 1960s Lollipop Shoppe song "You Must Be a Witch" is on here.

Hope you enjoy the LP as much as I did! :)

-Oliver