[kj] Top 10, post-Y2K

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 5 12:19:52 EDT 2007

It's funny the differences in how these retro/influenced acts are
received. It seems it depends as much on personal whim/taste and -- as
Chris said -- whether you have an ex-tie or other pet reason to loathe
the copycat, as it does on how shamelessly they're ripping off--er,
"embracing," their influences.

As a concept they don't bother me, but very few leave me asking for more
rather than just digging back out the original. I liked She Wants
Revenge a lot on the first few listens but then suddenly it didn't work
for me anymore: sound-wise, they were a nice nod to but still no match
for Joy Division, and lyrically, for great fuc%ed up relationship songs
I just ended up yearning for Afghan Whigs' "Gentleman." (Sidenote: The
album art was a cheap ploy, I guess, but still more relevant to the
material than Krusty KJ2003!) (Sidenote 2: I was told by a friend whose
judgment I trust that She Wants Revenge were abysmal live). What I've
heard of Editors hasn't grabbed me, either, though I can likewise
understand what people see in them.

On the other hand, I really get a kick out of Robocop Kraus, whose
influences are also pretty transparent. Two different acts, I know, but
it just points to how my reception of a given copycat has as much to do
with my own bias and whim and how attached I am to their original
influences. I have no shame; I just wanna be pleased : )

Jiri