[kj] Top 10, post-Y2K

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 4 16:59:02 EDT 2007

Wolfmother are a band I have in mind when I think of "throwback" bands.

Mika Miko have been called a throwback to The Slits.

The Donnas, a throwback to The Runaways. Yes, The Donnas have been
around for awhile, but when did they get popular? After Y2K.

There've always been throwbacks -- Sha Na Na in the 1970s was a
throwback to 50s greaser or doo-wop groups -- but in the past 5 years
folks trying to be the new Syd Barrett or the new Television
Personalities, Jam, Undertones, or whatever, seems to have just
increased exponentially. It's become such a bog-standard part of the
contemporary music scene no one is even starting to think of it as
throwback stuff any more. It just is, boutique thrift store chic and all.

A lot of it is driven by what I think Ian MacKaye aptly described in
that Soft Focus interview I posted: the heavy historicization nowadays
of a certian period of music history that really makes younger kids feel
like they've missed the boat, and must reformulate that stuff or
throwback to that to be cool.

-Oliver