[kj] Top 10 and the "throwback" era

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 4 12:39:09 EDT 2007

There's also the hope some of us have that even if it hasn't changed the
world YET, it still might! (Not all by itself, but as part of the
cultural wing of such a movement for change, coupled with other forces.)

Unfortunately most music is opium for the masses (Avril Lavigne?) Etc.),
but I think hardcore/punk and many post-punk bands' (Gang of Four, Pop
Group) strength is that they try to subvert this. First and foremost,
though, the music should just be good to listen to, regardless of
lyrical content. But when you have good lyrics + good music -- then,
bam, it's just tremendous. Or I always thought it was.

-Oliver