[kj] OT: cat

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Wed Apr 4 11:35:29 EDT 2007

I've never ran one over, but this story probably puts me in Cat-Killer Hell
regardless.

About 15 years ago, my best friend and his wife split up and they needed a
temporary place for their two young fat Persian cats who happened to be
brother and sister. Since I had my own place and being single, I wound up
taking them in as a favor for a few weeks. So I have them for about 2 weeks
and everything's cool. The only problem was they *never* were let outside so
they were totally indoor animals so I had to be real careful not to let them
outside.

One night, a girl came over for a Friday night date and while I was in the
bathroom getting dressed, she innocently lets one of the cats out even
though it's raining. So I spend about an hour searching around outside
looking for the stupid animal in the rain before giving up and going out on
our date. We come back home around 2am and lo and behold the cat had been
struck and killed by a car and was laying dead in the middle of the street
in front of my house. I buried it in my back yard and made the painful call
to my buddy and his ex-wife and they were pretty busted up about it but
understood the circumstances.

Meanwhile, the next few days, the remaining cat was constantly meowing,
crying about her lost brother and always trying to get outside. The 3rd or
4th night, she managed to get out past the door when a friend came over to
hang out and disappeared. Again, frantic searching ensued but I couldn't
find her. The next morning I went out to look again and found her dead,
struck by a car a block from my house and really mangled (her eyes had
popped out her head - ugh). This time, the ex-wife had to come over to "help
bury her cat next to the other one" as she didn't trust me to do it myself
("you'll just throw it in the trash, you don't care").

Strangely, I started getting stray cats hanging out in my yard all the time
like some creepy Stephen King Pet Cemetery movie.

T.B.