[kj] Top 10 and the "throwback" era

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 3 00:01:48 EDT 2007

I do, actually, just like I think the folk music of Woody Guthrie and
before him Joe Hill had subtle ways of changing the world and the way we
view it.

In American Hardcore one of the folks interviewed is the son of a US
senator. He was in the DC hardcore band Marginal Man.

Jello Biafra ran for SF mayor, and ran for Pres. candidate on the Green
Party ticket in 2000; Jack Grisham of TSOL ran for California governor a
few years back. Aside from this more direct sort of influence, it's
beyond argument that culture in general affects how folks view life. And
how they view life affects how they vote but also how that culture is
shaped. Would we be the same now if rock and roll had neever happened
politically?

What about Bush adviser Karl Rove doing his disgusting "MC Rove" shtick
at the recent Washington Press Clun thing? The "merely cultural" DOES
indeed translate into folks' opinions on life. I was politicized and
radicalized by listening to Crass, the Subhumans (UK), MDC, Dead
Kennedys, etc., as a youngster. It's affected the political causes I've
thrown myself into. The labor folk tradition of Pete Seeger, Utah
Phillips, Billy Bragg, and Woody Guthrie has done the same... It does
matter, believe it or not.

-Oliver