[kj] Top 10 and the "throwback" era

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 2 22:59:49 EDT 2007

I was quoting one of the main opinions out there, of course (the
"rockist" stance?), not my own. I like stuff that deviates from three
chord rock & roll, obviously, or else I wouldn't be on a Killing Joke
list, or have them in my Top 10 fave bands ever.

But I do sympathize with the view that when prog gets to the point of
Peter Frampton, it's like, okay, fuck this. That type of prog is not my
bag. A recent punk band that have been becoming more & more prog are
Fucked Up. People either love'em or hate'em. Their debut on Jade Tree
was a bloated double LP monstrosity (_Hidden World_:
http://www.jadetree.com/releases/product/JT1122) that I hated -- many
songs were over ten minutes long. It's prog-hardcore punk, but I don't
hate it because it's prog-punk. I just hate it because it is just boring.

I like no-wave and post-punk and some ambient/industrial (Coph Nia are a
recent addiction); it's not either/or for me -- but it is for some,
which is what I said. I like Chuck Berry and Lydia Lunch, personally. I
don't want to have to choose between the two.

-Oliver