[kj] Top 10 and the "throwback" era

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 1 23:27:31 EDT 2007

For my part, I mentioned World Burns to Death in my top 10, whose latest
album (_Totalitarian Sodomy_) came out in November, 2006, and whose
debut LP was from 2002. Great stuff.

I also like the current New York hardcore band Deathcycle a lot --
http://www.myspace.com/deathcycleny -- but like a lot of recent bands,
propelling them into one's Top 10 immediately, without the 20/20 of
hindsight and legacy and influence, etc., can be dodgy.

I happen to agree with some writers who've mentioned we're in the
"throwback era" of bands: many bands are popular critically or even
commercially nowadays mainly in terms of what they're a "throwback" to.
(Yes, some exceptions, as always.) I hate that kind of pitiful
nostalgia, but I can recognize it is true. Still, there is great music
being made today. If this were 1981 I might've said TSOL were in my Top
10. In 1987 I wouldn't have put TSOL in my Top 1000. Now I would put hem
in my Top 20 or 30, etc.

-Oliver