[kj] OT CULT

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 21 12:10:28 EDT 2006

The worst case I ever saw of this was at a Lollapalooza '94 show, when
the Smashing Pumpkins lead singer Billy Corgan (they were either the
last act or second-to-last act of a 12 band all-day festival) started
relentlessly ripping into the crowd in his none-too-pleasing nasal
whine. Here his band is, billed as the quasi-headliners, and after a day
of mostly stunning performances from the Beastie Boys, George Clinton,
Breeders, Nick Cave, and others I can't remember, he's basically giving
everyone a reason to cut out early and call it a day. His band was
actually playing quite a good show, but his incessant whining sucked all
the energy out of the crowd and--it appeared to me--out of his band as
well. Jackass.