[kj] OT- a little technical assistance please

Phillipps Marc Marc.Phillipps at enfield.nhs.uk
Mon Sep 18 11:32:02 EDT 2006

>a) What is soulseek & how does it work, what are its pros/cons, etc?

Soulseek is a peer to peer filesharing application, load the program, tell
it where your shared files are (not your root C: drive as I have seen some
people do!) and type in what you're looking for . . find someone who is
sharing it and download it ..

Pros - It is very good for obscure and rare music

Cons - it isn't as fast as bit torrent, you are very limited by the upload
speed of the person you are downloading from

>b) How can I use .rar files I've downloaded? Reaplayer can't seem to open
>them

.rar files are compressed much in the same way as .zip files, you'll need to
download Winrar or Winace (or winzip I think) and open them that way . .

Hope that helps,

Marc.