[kj] The apocalyptic philosophy of Killing Joke

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 25 07:57:22 EDT 2006

One of the things that fascinates me about Killing Joke are the repeated
references to all things apocalypse or end-times sounding ("Millenium,"
for ex.). In interviews Jaz has been talking about eco-sustainable
communities (in S. America?) and a "final showdown" between two great
powers on earth etc.

Well, is there any place -- article or interview -- where Jaz goes into
this worldview more specifically? As in, lay out explicitly how he feels
about this apocalypse thing? I'd really like to pick his or his band's
brains about this matter. Or maybe read an article by a 3rd person about
it all. In the 80s everyone was scared of nuclear Armageddon ("Threads,"
"The Day After," "World War III" the US mini series, etc.). Now it's a
clash of civilizations-type thing some people seem to tout as the
climactic struggle, including Jaz in a recent interview if I'm not mistaken.

I've been trying to start a self-financed, no advertisments, DIY
punk-ish web-zine with serious ambitions, and would really like for
someone to either write something on the topic of apocalypse in Killing
Joke or point me to some good leads on the matter. I love KJ and want to
feature something about them. Anyone wanna tackle the subject, or have
any good pointers?

Thanks so much....

-Oliver