[kj] Jaz Straw

The Exorcist killingjoke at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 14 17:16:25 EDT 2006

This will be my last post in regards to this subject.
I apologize to anyone bothered by this religious banter.

Once again I'd like to point out that way I say here is
in regards to Judaism. I do not speak for any other
religion or belief.

Errr, using wiki as a source is not highly valued by me.
(I also don't see the relevance of Tanach with this discussion.
Or of the wiki link. Navi'im (prophets) starts way after Abraham.)

Noah had "encountered god" as well. Way before Abraham. He is also
not considered a prophet.

However in the spirit of equality I'll do some wiki as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham
(you'll notice that Judaism is not mentioned in
reference to Abraham as a prophet)

If you try to find the terms of "prophet" with "Abraham" you'll see that
it's quoted mainly in association with Islamic beliefs.
"On the other hand, in the history of the People
of Israel, not everyone who established a direct
contact with the Lord was a navi (prophet): so
Adam, Cain, Avimelekh, King of Gerar, who had
direct contact with the Lord, but were not
prophets. In connection to the latter, this is
the only place where Abraham is called a navi,
"Now therefore restore the man's wife: for he (Avraham) is a prophet,"
( we'ata hashev eshet ha'ish ki navi hu).
Nevertheless, in Jewish tradition Moses is deemed to be the first ."
http://www.jafi.org.il/education/jewish/navi1.html

[some Hebrew wording is not mentioned here but the translation is.
My mail program has issues with hebrew fonts]

A careful reading of the text reveals a change in
Abraham's service of God. When Abraham first
arrived in the Land of Israel, he built an altar
and dedicated it "to God Who had appeared to him"
[Gen. 12:7]. This prayer expressed Abraham's
gratitude for his own personal spiritual
achievements. 'To God who appeared to him' ­ just
to Abraham, the holy prophet in his own private spiritual realm.
(http://www.geocities.com/m_yericho/ravkook/LECH64.htm)
(famous Jewish Rabbi/Scholar)

My point is, that Abraham is not considered a
prophet. His "prophecies" were only
in regard to his personal life and offspring. His
spreading the message of monotheism
had nothing to do with the "words of god" and was
started before he had any "prophecies"

(quote scarlet: "and a Prophet  is a person who has directly
encountered God, of whose intentions he can then speak,
which to me at least makes 'em messengers)

This will be my last post in regards to this subject.
I apologize to anyone bothered by this religious banter.

Best Wishes,
Yos