[kj] OT: Filter

Robert Cashour rcashour at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 28 22:50:21 EST 2006

-----Original Message-----

++I never thought that Filter ever did anything remotely sounding like "industrial rock."* I own "Title of Record," and "The Amalgamut," and the songs are either really heavy (metal) with harmonious choruses and/or verses, or chilled-out rock songs. *The one big exception to that would be "Columind" off of Amalgamut which has some Ministry-like heavily processed vocals and minimal guitar work in the verses. I think a lot of people lumped Filter in with industrial rock because R.P. played guitar for NIN for one-and-half records.

>-Oliver

>James Osborne wrote:

>> Are there any Filter fans here? Just curious. I haven't listened to them

>> since their last album came out in 02 or 03...anyway, I had them on my

>> car the other day, listening to Title of Record. The second track was

>> on, and my g/f said, "Man, they fucking sound like Killing Joke." I

>> went, "Huh?" She said, "Just listen, it sounds like Killing Joke. Even

>> the style of vocals in a way at times...."

>> After thinking about it, I think she's right. Anyone else think this as

>> well? The song that was on Welcome to the Fold (I think thats the name).

++It is so different it's not funny. I read an interview with Richard Patrick and he said they did something like eighteen passes for each guitar track (in the heavy sections) on "Title of Record." Contrast that with Geordie who does what, one or two? "Welcome to the Fold" is way too song-oriented to be compared to much of Killing Joke's heavier works. I'd also have a really hard time comparing Patrick's voice to Jaz's, as it's much thinner.