[kj] News about Jaz - his recent work

Appocalypsa Appocalypsa at seznam.cz
Sat Nov 11 04:07:18 EST 2006

KILLING JOKE JAZ TO PLAY FOR POLITICIANS

10:30 - 31 October 2006

Music legend Jaz Coleman has been chosen as Composer in Residence for the European Union. The former front man of post-punk rockers Killing Joke is writing a piece with violinist Nigel Kennedy to perform before politicians in Brussels in January.

As Composer in Residence he will be given a grant to write and perform music for the EU on special occasions.

Originally from Cheltenham, Jeremy 'Jaz' Coleman was lead singer in Killing Joke from 1980 to 1996.

The band has been named as an influence on bands from Pearl Jam to Nirvana and Faith No More to Metallica.

As well as being a singer, songwriter and keyboard player, Jaz is an accomplished orchestral and soundtrack composer, and also plays violin.

His mother Gloria, who lives in Charlton Kings, said: "I was so thrilled for him. He constantly surprises me.

"He just wants to be where he can express his music and share it with others. He was especially pleased to get Composer in Residence for the EU because he lives in Europe and he loves it there."

Manager Matt Luxon said: "Jaz is delighted to be offered such a prestigious assignment."

Jaz commissioned music for the 1998 Rugby World Cup and in 2002 he received three Grammies and quadruple platinum sales for his concerto entitled 'Promeny'.

He is already composer in residence for New Zealand and the Czech Republic, where he has lived for the past seven years.

Sounds unbeliveable... :D

Well, something can be lies (as we can see: 'former front man'), but the truth is, that just yesterday i spoke with Jaz's friend which told me, that Jaz is really busy these days working on new stuff. Cooperating with Nigel and composing is his recent job. He also said that Jaz has much work to do for the whole next year, so...
...i don't wanna be a bringer of bad news but i don't think that we can wait for some tour in the beginning of 2007... and, i don't even think there will be some in the whole year.

But.... my opinion is that: if he works is everything ok. This kind of work is a challenge and i think his life chance. I wish him just luck and looking foreward what will happen.
It is also good for Killing joke which possibly needs some time for a longer break. Getting new power and taste to continue. Maybe after that break we could expect some new songs on a setlist :)

So, i think we should be happy.
Or... I am.

Rejoice rejoice rejoice

Appo