[kj] Killingly amazed

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 2 09:42:26 EST 2006

It's only within the past half year that I've become a die-hard KJ fan,
though I've heard their music in bits and pieces, here and there, at
random almost, for maybe 15 years (I'm 32).

I think a lot of it has to do with what era of KJ you first hear. If
someone is introduced to Killing Joke by way of "Brighter Than a
Thousand Suns" they might not know they are listening to the same KJ
that made 'This Tribal Antidote" of Hosannas from the Bsements of Hell.
But half a year ago I sat down and listened to their whole catalogue and
it all "clicked." My fave periods of KJ are still the 1978 - 1985 period
+ the 2003 to current period. I really like that in the last few years
KJ have hardened and honed their attack when so many old bands soften
up, go wanky experimental, and mellow out. KJ have almost done the
opposite, which is incredible. They have a dynamite, aggressive sound
and write lyrics that are socially relevant ('Seing Red," etc.). 85% of
bands 1/3 their age cannot do it as well as them these days.

There are patchy and dodgy spots in KJ's catalog -- I'll be the first to
admit they've released some turkeys and I'd be embarrassed if someone
picked one of those up, heard it, and thereby dismissed everything KJ
has done. But I bet that's happened more than we'd like to think. I
personally really cringe from some of their stuff from the late 80s,
late 90s.

-Oliver