[kj] Recent KJ trivia (and Raven)

nicholas fitzpatrick gasw30 at hotmail.com
Tue May 23 08:58:08 EDT 2006

Hope all is well. I’ve been away for 3 weeks so don’t know if you’ve picked
up on the below 3 press mentions. I see you’ve got the Guardian review,
though.

In an article in the Sunday Times (April 30) about folk music, Youth is
quoted as saying: ‘"I've argued for years that acid house, all kinds of
subcultural music, are folk music, really. I suppose I wasn't listening to
much folk when playing bass in Killing Joke, unless you count Joy
Division..." He sniggers roguishly, then adds: "Actually, that's not true,
because Geordie turned me on to Davy Graham and Bert Jansch. And there's
always been a pagan element to Killing Joke.’

Daily Telegraph (May 15). Interview with Sophie Solomon, who played violin
at KJ’s Astoria gig.

‘Not long ago, while on a double-bill with Eighties post-punk band Killing
Joke, at London's Astoria, she faced down a hostile audience who, when they
saw her come on stage with bow and violin, were quite peeved at the thought
of an evening of Brahms and Mozart. They needn't have worried: Sophie's
tribal violin vibe is as unconventional as her wild stage antics and her
boho-traveller fashion sense.

The San Diego Union-Tribune (May 18). An interview with Raven about
Ministry. All of it is below, but I draw your attention to the last
paragraph about Ministry dissecting fan reviews of gigs on fan websites. KJ
should do the same and drop Communion :-).

Cheers
Nick

HEADLINE: Ministry is still raging against the machine

Pearl Jam and Neil Young may have their recently released anti-war albums,
but when it comes to pure vitriolic revolution songs, Al Jourgensen and his
industrial thrash band Ministry rails against George W. Bush like no one
else.

Brimming with indignant rage, Ministry's new album, "Rio Grande Blood,"
recaptures the revolutionary spirit of the band's heyday (see 1992's "Psalm
69"). Through 10 blistering tracks, Jourgensen and his crew rant on topics
ranging from corporate corruption ("Fear (Is Big Business)") to 9/11 ("Lies,
Lies, Lies") to U.S. military policy ("Gangreen").

Jourgensen takes shots at Dubya at every turn, asking a question on "Lies,
Lies Lies": If the government truly has nothing to hide / Why are they
afraid to answer a few questions?

Jourgensen incorporates an all-star team of musicians on the album and the
subsequent tour (stopping at the House of Blues downtown Sunday night),
including drummer Joey Jordison (Slipknot), guitarist Mike Scaccia (Rigor
Mortis), keyboardist John Bechdel (Fear Factory, Prong) guitarist Tommy
Victor (Prong) and bassist Paul Raven (Killing Joke).

"I think we represent the spirit of rebellion that has been very underground
as far as music is concerned," said bassist Raven. "I can't tell you what
all these industrial bands and people like Trent Reznor are doing. I got
into music in 1977 in the time of punk rock. Music and politics has been
inseparable."

"Rio Grande Blood" (a play on ZZ Top's "Rio Grande Mud") also marks the
third Ministry album since Jourgensen became clean and sober. After years of
heroin use, the frontman finally confronted his addiction. Longtime friend
Raven said it's good to have the old Al back.

"The post-drugs Al has come out of this with a renewed sense of vigor," said
Raven. "He's still as -- if not more -- creative than ever. He's got a sense
of humor and all his marbles and faculties intact. A lot of people don't get
to enjoy life a second time around."

About the tour, Raven said: "We call it Ministry on steroids, because
everyone says it's the best they've heard the band. We take our cues off of
a lot of what the fans say. They get online after every show and dissect the
show. We look at that in the morning and take it in."