[kj] Few things here and there...

Luca Signorelli lucasignorelli at alice.it
Sat May 13 09:24:37 EDT 2006

wscheip1 at aol.com ha scritto:
> 1. While I won't get into if BTATS blows away nighttime because I
> think it's all opinion. However, it was even stated by big paul that
> KJ did indeed chase the "big hit." Personally, I don't see that as
> shameful. We all have bills to pay and some want to be in it for the
> fame. I don't think that KJ has always chased the hit, but I think a
> couple of times they tried and failed and hopefully learned not to do
> it again.

"Chasing the hit" and being commercial are two different things. KJ at
some point indeed were looking forward to even bigger popularity after
"Night Time", but entirely in their own terms. As it was written, BTATS
was (for most of the songs) far more powerful, dark and relentless than
NT - it was NOT "Night Time II". The understanding of the band at the
time was that time (and the crowd) had caught with them, and so they
could - literally - have "the masses" dance to their own tune. It has
always been my opinion that, had BTATS been produced released as
initially intended (exp. by Geordie), thing would have turned out quite
differently on the long term - and, believe, BTATS successor wouldn't
definitely had been "BTATS II"! . Alas, it was not meant to be - but the
way of the Joke are rather mysterious, so maybe it has been better this
way.  At least we got ""Extremities" (who in a way suffered the opposite
problem, a production / mixing way too traditional).

You should always remember that KJ were never too far away from "popular
music", from basic, instinctive level groove. Their first appeal has
always been to the heart, not the intellect.