[kj] Few things here and there...

Luca Signorelli lucasignorelli at alice.it
Sat May 13 09:12:18 EDT 2006

Paul Rangecroft ha scritto:
> Yes, I agree, Mal. There was definitely a decission made by the
> band/management/label post-Iceland to try to get in the charts. They
> nearly made it a few times before LLB, too. I guess we can all be
> thankful they didn't. Compare Raven's first single, 'Birds of a
> Feather', with Youth's last (before he came back), 'Chop-chop'. Nuff
> said.

It was the other way, actually - when they returned from Iceland they
hit the charts a few times ("Eighties" made it in the top 20, if I'm not
remembering uncorrectly) before "Nighttime" was released. But there was
not conscious attempt to become more commercial. A lot of the grooves
and the musical attitudes of "Night Time" were already present at a
embryonic level in  "Revelation" and "Fire Dances". In a way, their
"hit" period was as experimental as the age before, the only real
difference being that for a brief age their kind of experiment was
something that the "masses" were digging.

Back then, "Birds of a Feather" didn't sound particularly poppy. It was
a differentent kind of KJ, but still very much KJ.