[kj] no reasons why BTATS is gash

god botherer acroastic at hotmail.com
Wed May 10 18:26:40 EDT 2006

Oh dear! What is the matter with you all? Brighter Than a Thousand Suns is
one of the finest albums ever recorded.

Granted, it wasn't what you were after from Killing Joke if you'd been into
them since 1980. I wanted something more visceral and more danceable. Most
of the content didn't help make a live show what you were looking for
either.

BUT, in the context of the wider world of music it is a work of astonishing
beauty and, yes, power - but you'll only get its power if you stop using
other Joke music as a frame of reference.

Take Rubicon out of the KJ ouevre and allow it to flourish away from the
likes of Pssyche, The Wait, etc. and you'll learn its magnificence.

I'll defend everything except Under a Southern Sky.

I do agree that this album is where Jaz started to dominate more, and in
general that hasn't been for the best. Actually it began when he moved out
from behind the keyboards on the right hand side. Get back Jaz! Bad Jaz! Go
to your keyboards!

But on this album, it all works gloriously for me. In fact, I'm sorry the
higher, nobler elements of the music have been largely absent from the
albums since (let's not talk about OTG).

Listen again, and as George Michael might say, push that truncheon through
the glory hole, big boy!

Er, I mean, listen without prejudice.

gb