[kj] gash/slap bass

fluw fluwdot at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 12:50:13 EDT 2006

*slap bass was invented in /new orleans /by _pops foster_ and a small
group of bass musicians playing in new orleans' '"the district"
somewhere between 1900-1905.  it was in this era 1890's - 1905 when
/church/ and /plantation/ /field/ music was evolving into blues, hot
music and rag-time at the lawn parties, fish fry's and rent parties and
the bass player originally playing tuba switched to /gut string upright
bass/ and decided that a /arco/ (bow) and /pizzicato/ (pluck) would not
be loud enough to keep up with the ever more intense performing styles
of /hot music/ (jazz). this slap style, was incorporated by using the
open palm of the picking hand to smack, grab and pop a string, or
stings, depending on whether the stroke is a single hit, double slap or
a raked triplet, continued to evolve within this music as it became
/jazz /for a few decades until the time /bebop/ evolved and slap
technique was considered passée.  before /bebop /killed the slap
popularity, the slap style had been picked up in other forms of music,
first string band swing, then big band swing, followed by, later blues
styles: Rhythm and blues, western swing, and finally early rock and roll
(rockabilly) where the style disappeared for a number of years after
being revived in the 70's and still evolves to this day.

however alex is correct in referencing the modern electric bass thumb
slap style and crediting larry graham with it's introduction when larry
switched from guitar to bass and was backing his mother in church minus
a drummer. hence necessitating larry to hit and pop the stings in order
to generate more rhythm in the small ensemble.

but as to where larry's influence comes from... you can bet it comes
directly from the 2/3's of a century that the slapped upright string
bass dominated his culture's musical paradigm.
*