[kj] Southern Death Cult

Jpwhkj at aol.com Jpwhkj at aol.com
Tue May 2 09:10:42 EDT 2006

It ought to - but these days I have less faith in movements (or whatever you want to call them) than I did then. (Also, I can't speak for punk *now*, 'cos I'm not really up to date on it.) But looking back on the early- to mid-eighties, I'd say that only the anarcho bands (and in fact only a portion of them) really had a coherent set of ideas. Most of the rest of punk was just about having a good time (nothing wrong with that, of course) and being hard / irritating your parents / whatever.

Which is not to say that there weren't sound people involved in all of the strands of punk - and that most of those strands produced relatively thoughtful music. But I think most punks lost their commitment to whatever it was when they stopped listening to the records, cut their hair, and got jobs...

On the other hand, punk certainly changed *some* peoples' lives irrevocably - opened their eyes to their potential, both political and personal. And that's more than you can say for most youth cults.

Generalisation Jamie